Skip to main content

the agreement

day three of my visit here was unimaginably difficult for the family. They did not give Leif steroids that day- can't remember why so he was in a lot of pain. Eric had left when I arrived around 2. Mary texted him and he did not return her texts. Her level of agitation and frustration at him just kept rising as Lief's pain could not be controlled. He was sweaty with horrific diarrhea. Changing him was nightmarish with him screaming in pain, discomfort, humiliation- wearing a diaper at 8 years old. my god. When he sat up to play Minecraft he keeled to one side with fatigue and then became frustrated and angry. he screamed over and over "mama I am so weak!" He wanted to simultaneously watch x-men and was angry we could not download "the Lego movie 2 video game" from the app store. Mary was convinced Eric was at home drinking and was so bitter and angry, recounting every time he had ever "not shown up." She seemed to be building a case in which she had more right to decide Leif's fate then Eric.
The big conflict is that Eric and Mary are not on the same page as to what to do if the current last ditch chemo doesn't work. Mary wants to quit. She is done. She is convinced Leif is done. She thinks any more would just be cruel. Eric can not be done. He thinks if there is going to be pain and suffering then they might as well be trying to save him.  As an old friend of Mary's i see her point but I also see Eric's. I think Mary was working under the assumption that hospice meant the end of suffering but it doesn't and she knows that now because she talked to the doctors and made them tell her what it would really look like. It really looks like a fucking horror show with fluids leaking from all orifices, with unimaginable suffering as the Leukemia destroys the body, as pain meds fail to to control the pain. So if that is "hospice" why not be trying every chemo imaginable? Could it really be worse than that? Maybe. And that's the thing. It could be even worse and longer and more drawn out for nothing. This is my understanding of the choices they are wrestling with. Is there any chance of survival? of beating this? It doesn't look like it.
When Eric came to the hospital I tried to get Mary out of the room. We were all packed, I had her stuff at the door. We almost made it out but Mary couldn't stop herself. She went up to Eric, accused him of drinking? I don't know I couldn't hear, then he said something back and Mary wailed out in pain and began sobbing. She went to Leif asleep in bed and started kissing him and telling him how much she loved him, almost crawling on top of him until he woke. "mommy why are you crying?" "I am crying because I don't want you to be sick and I love you so much" "no mommy, why are you really crying?" at that point I went over and said "mommy's crying because she is way overtired and needs to go get some sleep" It felt like I peeled her away from him. She clenched my hand and I dragged her from the room as she sobbed. I hugged her and held her and tried to say things like "I am so so so sorry" over and over.
When we exited the hospital the night air immediately calmed her and she began to breath. I got her home and followed her from room to room as she did meaningless little tasks. I got her to fill the bath and finally get in the tub. I sat outside and contacted the group about what had happened and asked what they thought needed to be done. I got her into bed with a sleeping pill and a novel- she didn't want self help, she wanted meaningful fiction. I grabbed a Gunther Grass from her shelf and she went to bed.
In the morning I texted them both:
i need a 24 hr agreement from you both to be kind and gentle to one another. if someone is not kind the other is going to fucking pretend the other person was kind and thus respond kindly. i don't care what you really think or how much you have to lie to accomplish this. just do it. thank you.
I don't know if this had any effect but when we went to the hospital both were extremely polite and helpful to one another.  I have a feeling that this is their habit and my tough love was not really responsible for the change in tone. We reorganized the room, Eric got a piece of furniture from home with drawers so they have more storage. Leif got his steroids. There was some calm. Everett and I went into the family room during a changing and Eric came in after us saying he had been directed to come and talk to us. We were finally given the opportunity to talk to him about what he is feeling, get his take on hospice v more chemo and about what his plans were if (we were tactful but it rang a bit hollow) Leif died. His answer was exactly what I expected- a cabin in the woods. He was okay with Mary being dragged off to "away" saying he thought they both approached the grieving process so differently that they would kill each other if they tried to stay together. He said that the house could stay empty for about 6 months if needed. We were able to tell him their were people that would help with a short term rental if mortgage payments needed to be made.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The price of life: $68,429.40

The current chemo being tried is Elzonris. Leif needs a 5 day round. That totals $342,147.00 It has a %1-5 chance of working. It has never been used for Leifs particular form of leukemia the the % chances are, I think, a guess. The doctors wont officially know if it works for weeks. They will then do a bone asparation to see the marrow count. His last marrow count had the leukemia at 23% Blood blasts, as they are called, will be seen every day or so. Right now those numbers are hovering around 12% Yesterday Mary had one of her breakdowns. I got in touch with our group and asked someone to call her because she was suicidal and I thought someone better than me should talk her down. Evidently today she also fell apart. She has a fantasy of the partner she wants to be with who would be helping her through this and Eric is not meeting her standards at all. Her focused rage at him is a way of blaming him for her inability to be present with her son. The argument goes: if Eric did everyt

sturm und drang

a rare calm moment  "Both my friends have their self destructive ways to escape what is happening. Eric drinks. Mary despises Eric for his drinking. I see my friend Mary as a tormented genius with insanely low self esteem which she won't acknowledge, instead attributing her thoughts to Freud's Death Instinct (!?!) She has no idea of emotional boundaries and then is filled with self loathing for falling to pieces. Sometimes I think it's Who's afraid of Virginia Wolf in pediatric cancer ward." I wrote this a few days ago when emotions were running so high. There seems to be some peace in the last few days- not from grief but from anger. Mary wants a map of every possible thing that could happen and what the response will be and this just isn't going to happen. H came over yesterday to the house and spent some time first with me and then with Mary. She was so helpful. She nursed her husband back from cancer only to lose him in an accident...

the Lego arsinal

What Leif wants What leif has Lego guns are tiny parts. Not the tiniest, but pretty damn small. I have spent the better part of two days sorting through Leif's Lego collection in search of all weapons but especially guns.  Some of the other weapons include spears, swords and battle axes, but then I couldn't help but think of things that could be weapons like shovels and pitchforks and how about a broom? there are throwing stars but how about propellers? Skill saws seem a definite yes. Horns? A scorpion? What if the flowers were just a different kind of throwing star? And eyeballs could be bullets that see where they are going. A banana? a fantastically subtle weapon. But then Leif wanted "real" weapons not my made up nonsense. So i thin sliced the selection into little baggies, one with only real actual bona fide guns, one with legitimate Lego brand weapons, and then a third with what I called weaponizable parts. I found Mary on the floor crying, franti